Saturday, October 26, 2013

Port is coming out!

Halloween has a twist this year. Andy's getting his port removed.  That is another positive step forward that we are grateful for. 

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Good news to report

Yesterday Andy had a PET scan, blood work and thrn met with the great Dr A.   The  PET showed no rumors (chemo was done almost a year ago).  The lump in the breast needs another ultrasound and mammogram, it still is a bit unclear just what that is.   Thr port is coming out in 6 weeks.   Once Andy has 2 more clean PET scans over the next year, he would be considered in remission.  Happy days ahead and gratitude every day.  All the love, support and prayers are appreciated. 

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Next appointments

Oct 18 will be the PET and a meeting with the Doctors.   The lump in thr breast is on a 3 month watch after thr ultrasound and mammogram.  We hope it's just harmless fatty tissue! 


Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Latest visit and next steps

The oncology team is quite optimistic.  They feel the mass removed from Andy's chest was not "live".  He is scheduled for a PET in October.  Before then, he needs a mammogram and an ultrasound fort the  lump in his breast.  This could be almost anything, including a side effect of so much chemo.    Overall, he's not quite himself these days and we are hoping the next few weeks are positive.   

Friday, May 10, 2013

Follow up with surgeon today

This went really well! They surgeon thinks the mass that was removed was residual and not live tumor!!!!! Andy is thrilled with this news. He is healing slowly from the surgery and sleep continues to elude him. He meets with the surgeon again in four weeks and, assuming all is well, would then meet with the cancer team. It is unclear if there are any further cancer treatments required. Andy says the news is the best ever. Just wish he felt better and not so tired and queasy.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Discharged already!

Andy recovered fabulously and was able to tolerate the pain with oral meds so they sprung him! Believe me, he has pain alright!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Surgery done

Big surgery day!
Talked with doc. Andy is in recovery. Has two plates sealing his sternum. Large leftover tumor stuff removed. It was attached to sack around heart and got that off. Attached to nerve that works diaphragm and got much of that off but preserved nerve. No lifting more than a glass of milk for 6 weeks. Discharge Fri afternoon or Sat am. Not going to icu. All is good.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Surgeon is very confident

Surgeon will open Andy's chest and plug the hole with a metal plate after grabbing the biopsy. He feels this is a very safe approach and much better then robotics. The tumor IS smaller but is also glowing much brighter. They really aren't sure what that means. The surgery will take place in 3-4 weeks so we will again wait for a call. I heard a lot of confidence in Andy's voice today. He's ready to move on.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Appointment to meet with the surgeon

Andy has an appointment next Friday the 22nd to meet with the surgeon regarding the biopsy of his chest. I expect surgery date would be made following this appt.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Happy 35th birthday Andy!

I hope your day is sunny & bright and filled with laughter that continues through the year

Thursday, March 7, 2013

No news so I will update

Talked with Andy. His energy continues to improve so that's good. No news from the surgeon so the waiting drags on. On the plus side, he is looking forward to his Birthday on Sunday. Me, too. Thanks for all the support.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Appears the situation has the Docs perplexed

Duh.. We knew that. Officially, the update is the PeT shows the tumor in Andy's chest is lighting up brighter than ever. This means active cancer. At the same time, the tumor is marginally smaller than originally scanned. There are also nodes lighting up in his lungs. This could be a few things, including infection. The plan is to have the surgery and get a biopsy of the chest tumor. Andy expects a call next week to schedule the procedure. We know this is a major procedure but not sure of inpatient time or recovery time. Will find out. He wants his Mom there if possible and we will work on that when we have dates. It's unfortunate the Doc is perplexed, but one more reminder of how thankful we are to be with the best medical team possible for this condition.

You are wondering how Andy is feeling. He just wants this behind him and to quit living one day at a time or words to that effect. He feels better, coughs some, and wants to get back to normal life.

Thank you all for your support.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Finally a return appt

Andy got a call today to schedule a PET scan for Feb 22. We will take it! Progress and a chance to meet with the doctors to determine next steps- that's what we need at this point.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Appt for surgical consultation is set

We have an appt for Jan 4 to meet with the surgeon and discuss the biopsy. Will provide an update at that time!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

PET results are in

The PET showed no change from before BEACOPP and after ABVD. That means the chest tumor seems to still be alive. There is a chance the PET is wrong so a biopsy is being planned. This takes special surgical skill given the location. Timing tbd. If it still is alive a new chemo regimen specific for Hodgkins will start. This is outpatient every 3 weeks for 4 times with a PET in the middle. We need to stay focused on the cure! The timeline changed but nothing more.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Bummer

Andy and Laurie went to UCSF as instructed. After a long while it was confirmed there was no need for the visit. They spent a day on the road, money and more energy than Andy has and he is very upset. He feels horrible and exhausted and his blood is hovering just above the threshold that would require another transfusion imparting they get home safely and that Andy starts feeling better. Also, the PET scan will be sometime in November. A day of disappointment

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Back to UCSF

Turns out Andy needs to spend Friday at UCSF as part of the study protocol. We really were unaware until they called yesterday. We will need to figure out transportation and other details. Got to look at this as progress--one step closer to the point of being declared cure!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wed Oct 10

Another day of blood work and another neupogen shot. No g I issues for about 12 hours and staying on bland diet. Andy seemed a lot more upbeat, even given the onset of the bone pain, and is anxious for "what's next". He's trying to be better about taking all the medicines to help with both pain and potentially even some sleep! The visits from last weekend by fantastic,caring and dedicated friends continues to buoy him up.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday

Andy back at local hospital with blood pressure issues. His throat is raw as well. We will see what they say